Friday, February 5, 2010

Symmetry and Patterns

The other day I let Lila skip her nap and stay up with Savannah. Poor Adeline was sick and begging for her much needed nap. Savannah and Lila had the Play-Doh out and began demonstrating some interesting concepts. Savannah started out with patterns galore and finished off with a pattern cake stacked high. She eventually put together a presentation with symmetry as well. The girl really loves patterns!
I decided to see if Lila could recognize and complete a simple pattern. I didn't think she would be successful and don't know at what age simple patterns emerge. I was pleased to see her extend my simple Play-Doh ball pattern of red-purple-red-purple. She did it all on her own.
She wasn't too interested in repeating different patterns and moved on to cutting out a gingerbread man which she declared was Baby Jesus. Soon Baby Jesus had a binki and a Bunny.


Guess who was cutting Baby Jesus in half with a knife when I walked into the room a few minutes later?

1 comment: