Sunday, April 18, 2010

Why Boys Don't Wear Shirts

Luckily this conversation happened in the car. I didn't have to look Savannah in the eye which helped hide my embarrassment.

S: Why do boys take their shirts off when the exercise outside?

Me: The don't always. (trying to avoid)

S: But why do they do it sometimes?

Me: So that they don't get too hot. (still trying to avoid)

S: How come they can do it but girls can't?

Me: (Is she really asking me this. Hmm. . . do I tell her the truth. Deep breath) Sweetie, have you ever heard anyone mention the word breasts or boobs?

S: No

Me: (Thinking I could have used a little help here from Savannah's friend department.) Well when girls get older, their breast start to grow and that is why Mommies wear bras. (Am I really talking about this with my 6 year old?) Do you know what I am talking about?

S: Yes. Why do you have to wear a bra when your breasts grow?

Me: (Thinking that my lack of a rack doesn't help in the support explanation) Well, women don't want people to see their breasts and bras help keep them covered up.

S: But I still don't know why don't boys have to keep their shirts on?

Me: They don't grow breasts. The reason why girls don't take their shirts off is because that part of our bodies is considered a private part. Did you know that?

S: Yes, like no one should see it or touch it except your family like when you are changing clothes or something.

Me: Yes, that is right. So boys can take their shirts off because that isn't considered a private part of their body.

S: Well why can they take their shirts off when exercising outside but not when they are exercising inside at the Y?

Me: I don't know, that is just the way it is. (always taking it one step further so that I can't give a good answer on the spot)

I guess I can check off one of many uncomfortable conversations I will have my girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment