Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Thanksgiving Treats

It is Adeline's turn to bring a snack in to school this week.  I figured since it only happens twice a year, I could go all out.  My friend, Melissa, recently made this turkey snack for her daughter's school which helped me decide to do the same.

After an evening trip to the store with all three girls, I wasn't really excited about making the turkey.  I powered up though and dug in.  All three girls helped skewer the grapes, cheese and carrots.  It was fine for the first five minutes but then they had scissors in their hands (don't ask me why), were pulling all of the skewers out of the bag and dropping or eating more food than they were putting on the turkey.  I grinned and bared it the best I could.  Savannah and I sped through the remaining skewers which allowed me to end the activity early.  None of this took away from Adeline's excitement when bringing it into school this morning.  She was pretty cute because the first words out of her mouth were, "Gobble, gobble."

 Beware, if you choose to make this snack, make sure you have all of the ingredients in order to avoid a late night trip to the store with all your children.  Also, make sure you have room in your refrigerator.  I had to cram the milk into the produce drawer.


I backed the fruit and cheese snack with something sweet. I stole this idea out of Family Fun. It is a cookie that is decorated like a pumpkin pie. It looks much more authentic in person than in the picture below.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to try that turkey! Did you use wooden or metal skewers? Any other tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used wooden skewers. If I had more time, I would have poked the holes first with the sharp end of the skewer. I then would have cut the sharp end off once the skewer was loaded just to prevent and skewer injuries at school :) I think it would slip right back into the hole with a blunt end.

    BTW, the turkey got rave reviews!!

    ReplyDelete