Thursday, July 12, 2012

15 Minutes with Adeline

This girl is something else.  After a very long week of staying up late and attending the summer session of her IU classroom, I was expecting Adeline to pass out tonight.  We went swimming and didn't get back home and upstairs for bed until 9:00.  Too make the bedtime process easier, I offered to shower with her.  Here is just a sampling our of conversations during our 15 minutes together.

A:  Mommy, it is my dream come true!  You are going to shower with me.

A:  How much do you think a fire jet weighs?  (She refers to airplanes as fire jets.)  Maybe 60 pounds?

A:  Mommy, you always want me to stay small but I want to be big.  I am going to get big on my birthday because I will be six.  Mommy, it will be OK.  I will be like a very big pumpkin when you try to pick me up.  SUPER HEAVY.

A:  Why do you drive when you are 16?

A:  I am going to be a Mommy when I get big like you.  But it will hurt when they cut the babies out of my tummy.  Did it hurt you Mommy?
Me:  No sweetie.
A:  Why did they use stitches on your tummy?  Why are stitches blue?

A:  Mommy, I love your snuggles.  Can I have one after my shower?

And to really give you an idea of how her brain is just a little bit outside of the box and ALWAYS thinking, here is a conversation we had a few weeks back.  We just started using the correct names for certain body parts.

A:  Mommy, do you have a penis?
Me:  No, only boys have penises.  Girls have vaginas (not my favorite word but I was on the spot and needed to name it!)

Adeline thinking...Long pause...

A:  Vagina rhymes with China!!!  (Stated very enthusiastically.)
Me:  Yes it does but don't tell your teacher.
A:  Penis rhymes with Venus!

That's my girl.  She keeps me smiling and on my toes!


No comments:

Post a Comment